Friday 8 February 2013

Sampling

Weave



This is a few scans of my finished weave. The whole sample took about 3 weeks from start to finish and I completed the full length of the thread which is roughly four yards long. This is something I am very proud to have completed as I have made the whole thing from scratch. 
The weave itself was made from three primary colours, pink, peach and white (this was to tie in with my 'hands' brief) I then began weaving with these colours, just to start off with. I then began looking into texture, trying to make the weave feel bumpy and raised. I experimented with different yarns, using paper yarns and cotton swirl, each one giving a different effect. After a tutorial, it was suggest to me that I begin using bright colours in order to break the weave up a bit, rather than bombarding it with pinks. I decided to use a blue, this represented the veins that would be showing on the back of the hand. This worked very well, especially with the weft colours covering some of the blue, reflecting the surface of the hand. However, after finishing the weave I can see where I could have experimented more and added new things. This is something I will take with me into the new brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment