Wednesday 21 May 2014

Unit X - College Four

Unit X - College Four - Zines - Salford Zine Library 



I really enjoyed my visit to the Salford Zine Library, which is located in Nexus Art Cafe in the Northern Quarter, Manchester. I never knew that there was a zine library in Nexus, I think this will come in useful in the future. I decided to visit with an open mind and try not to just focus on my group's idea of the punk zine. I wanted to get a real understanding of what a zine really is. From the variety of sizes, fonts, illustrations, how each one is produced? photocopied? and what is the content. I wanted to see the wide variety of zines and content available of which I could take back to my own zine. I was really amazed by the amount of zines in there and the mixture of what they had available.

The images above are a few of the zines that I looked through and these were my favourite of what I found. I was really drawn to the illustration that featured in these zines. I really liked the range of professional illustrators to people who just enjoyed drawing in their spare time. This made me feel a lot better about my own drawing skills as it showed me that as long as you’re enjoying what you are doing that it doesn’t matter what your skill level is. I showed me that almost anyone can create a zine. I think our group made the right choice about including illustrations as it gives our zine something extra to engage with the audience with.

No comments:

Post a Comment