Sunday 7 April 2013

Unit X - Superstitions

Research + Exhibitions - Kurt Schwitters



During the time I spent in London, I decided to try and see as many different exhibitions as possible. The first one I when to see was 'Kurt Schwitters In Britain' at the Tate Britain. I was quite excited to see this exhibition as, during my A-Levels, I focused a lot on Schwitters method of working. 

  What I found interesting about the way the exhibition was set out was the contrast between all the different types of work Schwitters created. The works changed from his well known collages of scrap paper to very intricate paint portraits of his friends.  Schwitters mainly focused on his past in his work, escaping from numerous concentration camps in Nazi Germany. This is something that is very evident in his work, from the German text, to the ration books that were distributed throughout the war. In later life when Schwitters moved to the country, he was sent different types of materials from his friends, from old letters to stamps, which he then incorporated into his work. 
Overall, I found this exhibition quite exciting, as some of the work on display, I had never seen before as well as very fascinating stories about Schwitters life displayed all around the gallery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment