Sunday 21 April 2013

Unit X - Superstitions

Drawings + Fashion




 I've been focusing a lot on the fashion of the 70s, mainly on the change that David Bowie brought to the fashion world, introducing Japanese fashion to the British public. I have created some drawings focusing on Bowies fashion, but also looking at other fashion icons at the time, for example Debbie Harry, Elton John and Freddie Mercury. 
I have never really done any fashion drawings before and I found it very difficult at first, trying to make the fabric look right, for example leather. After I did my first one, I found that I really started to enjoy it and get into a routine of doing these drawings. I used felt-tip pens to add colour, however not colouring in fully as I thought that the full colour would be too overpowering on the figures, taking attention away from the flamboyant costumes. 
I took the clothes from the 'David Bowie Is' exhibition guide, as I found google images untrustworthy. I decided to draw the clothing on women's figures as, when reading up about Bowie's costume designers, they said that they use a woman's figure on their drawings as Bowie has a very slender figure like a woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment