Sunday 21 April 2013

Unit X - Superstitions

Zero Waste Lecture

I attended the Tuesday 16th April lecture, 'Zero Waste' which focused on the idea of no waste fabric when cutting patterns for garments, using as much fabric as possible, or using the 
waste fabric to create pockets and embellishments. I have never really done any pattern 
cutting before so at certain points in the lecture I started to become lost and confused as I didn't know what she was discussing, however pattern cutting is something I would be interested in doing in the future. 
The lecture focused on fashion designers that are bring 'Zero Waste' fashion into the limelight. I found the idea of 'Zero Fashion' very interesting as it is something I have never thought about before. I never realised how much fabric is wasted when cutting garments. 
What I liked most about the 'Zero Waste' pattern cutting was the idea that you had no control over the garment, that it controlled you. It made you think about the designs, whether they would fit perfectly or you'd have to tweek something in order to make it fit into the pattern. This is something I quite liked about the idea.
If I had more time in "Unit X' I would like to take this idea further to run alongside of my brief, creating garments with the idea of no waste in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment