Monday 4 November 2013

Intentions

Intentions - Photoshop

These are some of the photoshop experiments that I have done.

Unfortunately, I could not make it to the timed session as I was quite poorly. So after my Illustrator workshop I asked the tutor who was running the sessions what to do and she suggested that I follow the handbook that was given out and to have a play around myself and see what I could do on my own. I downloaded a Photoshop trial on my laptop and decided to have a play around myself. 

I found this very easy as I could go at my own pace and play around with all the different tools. I did find it hard at first as I had never used Photoshop before so everything was brand new to me. However after a few times playing around I found my way and begun creating some really interesting samples. As I was teaching myself how to use the program, I did struggle a bit when things went wrong (for example the sample on the bottom left was an accident, I was trying to layer an image and it came out stripy) however it was just a case of experimenting and seeing where I got too. I found it a lot easier to use the shortcut keys rather than the mouse as I knew what to do rather than clicking all the different buttons. For example when opening an image I found it a lot easier to use the shortcuts -
(as I have a mac) 
cmd+ O -> Open and image
choose the image that you want
cmd + A -> Select the whole of the image
cmd + C -> Copy
cmd + W -> shut the image down
cmd + V -> paste the image
I really enjoyed experimenting with the magic wand tool. This allowed me to crop down and image and cut out the sections that I didn't want. At first I had no idea what to do with this tool and every time I was trying to crop and image the wand just completely covered the whole image. I found it a lot easier to do each section at a time -
I highlighted a section that I wanted to erase
Then Edit -> Clear
I also found the shortcut 
cmd + D 
very useful as if anything went wrong, this un-selected anything so I could start again
and then pick another section and then repeat.
I was also experimenting with the different effects that you can add to a layer. I found that 'Multiply' made the layer become almost transparent and blend with the other layers. With the sample in the top left, I decided to add a 'Colour Burn' effect to this, which I found quite good as when you layered another layer on top it changed its colours to blend with the other layers. 
Overall, I found Photoshop a good way to experiment with images and to create different ideas quickly (more quickly when I get to grips with the tools) I would quite like to learn more in order to expand my skills and to see what else I could achieve with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment