Monday 26 January 2015

Third Year Practice - Collection

Third Year Practice - Collections

My work is focusing on turning data into something visual and I am really struggling with this idea. I feel that everything that could be done with this topic has already been done and that I cannot take it much further. I also found that it was very graphic based and struggled to find inspiration within this topic. I decided to take a step back and look though my blog and sketchbook to find where I was really going with this work. The word ‘collection’ came up a lot and it was a word I used to describe my work so I started from there. Instead of looking at my work as ‘data’ I started looking at it as a ‘collection’. I started my research again and found a lot of inspiration and context, which is helping with my brief. I am beginning to look at my final outcome to be something of a collection of things, perhaps things people do not care about or want anymore, such a bus tickets, receipts, empty wrappers, etc.

( 'Louise Bourgeois – Aller-Retour’, Kunsthalle Wien, Vienna, Austria, 2006 © Kunsthalle Wien / Photo: Stephan Wyckoff)

('Louise Bourgeois – Aller-Retour’, Kunsthalle Wien, Vienna, Austria, 2006 © Kunsthalle Wien / Photo: Stephan Wyckoff)

Louise Bourgeious is becoming a huge contextual influence on my work. When reflecting back I realized that I had a collection of drawings and would like them to be accompanied into my final idea. I like her work, especially her drawings, as they are always displayed as a collection, rather than just a single drawing. This is very influential of my work and something I would like to bring to my own brief. Her work is displayed in simple frames and placed next to each other in a simple manor, perhaps not to take away from the drawings. I really like this concept of displaying the work. The frames is something that I am unsure about however I do like the liner and very rigid way that she displays her work, almost as to be viewed as one large piece rather than individual pieces. I really like the concept of creating a large scale piece but it being created using smaller pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment