Monday 26 January 2015

Third Year Practice - Research


Third Year Practice - Research 

(Art Bin, 2010 installation view, South London Gallery, London - Taken from www.thomasdanegallery,.com)

('Sweep To Victory' 1996 -Michael Landy- Taken from www.tate.org.uk)

This artist was suggested to me in a tutorial and I was told that he would be very inspirational to my work. Michael Landy created a piece called ‘The Breakdown’ where he took an inventory of every single item that he owned, created drawings of items and writing little notes about why he has then and what they meant to him, and then burnt everything so he was left with nothing. I found this work very inspiring, if not a little odd. I loved the idea of taking an inventory of things, perhaps not on the scale that he has, but perhaps an inventory of things I see at that exact moment, or things in my bag or pocket. I could take this further by taking an inventory of other peoples things, making a list and creating drawings of them. I liked the idea of things meaning different things to people, one mans trash is another mans treasure idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment