Monday 26 January 2015

Third Year Practice - Sampling

Third Year Practice - Sampling


When I began sampling, I looked back over all the work that I had created or collected through out this brief. What struck me the most were my bus movement drawings, which I had printed onto acetate, I did this because I wanted the line to be the main focus and not the background. I loved that you could only see the line on the transparent paper, making the audience focus on the movement within the line giving it a new quality. This was my starting point for my samples. These particular samples are created using a mixture of hand stitch, running stitch and chain stitch, with ordinary black thread. I decided to run over these stitches on a domestic sewing machine in order to make them less rigid and neat, as I was trying to create movement in my samples. I think this worked very well as it gives off the same shaky effect that the original bus movement drawings do. These samples are literal translations of the bus movement drawings, I lay my fabric over the top and traced the movement. 
The circe is something that has come about by accident, originally the circle was just the fabric that I cut out of the embroidery hoop, however, I think that the circle works well and I have been trying to find a way to relate that idea back to my work in order for it to make sense and relate to my brief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment