Sunday 8 February 2015

Third Year Practice - Sampling and Testing

Third Year Practice - Sampling and Testing


Having spend a lot of time experimenting with soft and transparent backgrounds. It was suggested to me to that I test the idea of using a hard background on my samples. I firstly moved towards Perspex. I used a 3mm sheet with the idea of cutting it into circles and then drilling smaller circles into the first circle this gave me the opportunity to thread the piece up in different ways depending on the holes. This was something that I attempted by myself, however it did not work out how I expected. The Perspex was too thin and buckled under the pressure of all the holes. However, I had a 10mm piece available and tried the same idea with this. I decided not to cut the Perspex into a circle (as I was experimenting with a new material I thought it might be worth keeping a square and experimenting with the shape as well leaving the circle behind) I used a thin plastic thread in white and a thing leather thread in black, I picked these threads as they were flexible enough to create loops coming out of the holes. I really like the way that the thick Perspex and how it came out I think that because you can look at the samples on either side, it represents two totally different patterns and two different journeys, depending on which way to view it.

No comments:

Post a Comment