Monday 28 October 2013

Intentions

Intentions - Samples - Acetate 


After becoming stuck at a certain point in my brief, I decided to look back over the work that I have already done to try and find my way. The thing I liked the most and what was brought up in my tutorial was the idea of using open weave or sheer fabric to create drawings on. I liked this idea as I always prefer the back of samples to the front and this way, using sheer/transparent fabric shows both at the same time. I order lots of different examples of sheer fabrics online, so for the time being I decided to experiment with what I had to hand. I discovered that you could use acetate to stitch on, however there was a risk of it snapping my machine needle or it ripping very easily. I decided to choose this image of St Paul's Cathedral as it is one of London's most iconic landmarks. I created three different samples, each one starting off with a simple black thread drawing. I then left one empty, one with some machine embroidery onto and then another with some hand embroidery. Each one I felt was very plain and empty, I left them to one side to think about it and placed them all onto of one another. This sparked a moment for me. I really liked the layers all mixing together to crete one sample. I think this relates to my brief perfectly as, when flicking through my visual research the amount of drawings/photographs that get created of St Paul's Cathedral each day,




No comments:

Post a Comment